Saturday, January 21, 2012

The rest of 2011, PART 2

December 3, 2011
In Botswana they love beauty contests. For fundraisers they normally hold beauty contests since they are so successful for women. So for Home Based Care, since there aren’t any youngsters that hang around or are a part of the volunteer group, we decided to hold a Mosadi Mogolo Beauty Contest, this meaning an “Old Woman Beauty Contest.” Man, were the women super excited about this. They had been practicing their moves all week. The wave. The walk. The poses. They all had big smiles on their faces. They spent most of the evening ironing out their outfits, putting on makeup, and doing their hair. There were about 10 contestants. We held it outside. We recruited 4 judges, some from the DHT, some from the DAC. There was a point system. So we had 10 little old ladies walking primply around, flaunting their stuff. The contestants walked in a square, first as a group, then individually. They all did their poses at each corner of the square for all to see, then in the middle for the judges. The judges narrowed it down to 5 for the finals, where 3 were eventually ranked 1st, 2nd and 3rd. We weren’t able to raise as much funds as we had hoped for, but at least everyone had fun with this fundraiser. The funds were raised for a Volunteer Appreciation Party to commemorate the volunteers’ efforts for the year. Next year we’re just going to have to plan further ahead of time to make this a bigger event. Nonetheless, it was an exciting endeavor for all that participated.

December 9, 2011
As we all SHOULD know, December is HIV Awareness Month, so of course there are World AIDS Days that help focus on the disease. The Bobirwa Sub-District had ours today. But, it was not just a one day endeavor, the DAC office had been working on preparing for this day for months. As for me, well, I was only pulled in for the last week. But it was a busy week, nonetheless. I spent the 2 days before the event in the office til 9 PM. These are the day where I remembered I used to get paid overtime. Though I guess in my case at this point, it’s just a “pay-it-back” for this job. Lol. I apparently was in charge of making all the name tags and tending to the exhibitors. So Wednesday and Thursday were spent making name tags. Remind me to never do that again, or at least start it earlier. So much for capacity building…a 4th grader could have done my job. But at that point it was just a matter of needing hands to help, and mine were idle, so I may as well have contributed mine.

It also gave me time to get to know our DAC. She is pretty awesome. She has determined, motivated, and concise. She knows what she wants, and knows what needs to get done, and she does very little lollygagging, which I duly appreciate.

Anyways, I get home Thursday night at 9 PM, and it is pouring down HELL. It is pouring down so loudly on my tin roof I can barely hear myself think. I keep looking up at the ceiling scared shitless that it might cave in or something. then all the sudden it starts dripping heavily onto my bed. FUCK, i move my bed towards the other wall. GOD DAMMIT, there’s a leak on that side too! I move my bed across to the other wall. Ok, seems safe here. NOPE, 5 minutes later it’s dripping on the corner of my bed. All in the mean time, the rain is still pounding on my ceiling, and water is now flooding into my bedroom from under the door. AWESOME. I move again against the last wall possible. Fuck, it’s still leaking on the corner of my bed, I’m out of options. I opened up my umbrella and stuck it on the corner of my bed. Ya…you get creative in desperate times. As I am about to finally go to sleep, I look up. SHIT, there is a giant cockroach crawling on my curtain over my head. WTF. R U EFFING KIDDING ME?!  I somehow manage to get it into a plastic bag, and I take out all my frustrations on this guy. Ok, fine, now I can try to get some sleep. 10 minutes later….*drip drip* ON MY STOMACH. Aksldfj ioqaeuq09iow4u tjhksrhf a;lkjs. I have NO WHERE else to move. I just find a water bottle, cut in half and carefully position it where it is slowly dripping. Looks like I’m not allowed to move for the rest of the night, or I might knock over my OPEN water bottle. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I get to sleep at around 1 AM. 4 AM…WTF just fell on my face?! A FUCKING COCKROACH. I subconsciously grab it and throw it across the room. Ya, I’m up. No more sleeping. Last night sucked. God knows where else it rained in my house, the rain was so bad, I couldn’t even get out of my room. It rained IN my house, and a cockroach fell on my face. FML.

Some of you may have gotten texts from me that night. So if you were curious, this is exactly what was happening. Lol.

I was picked up at 645 AM to catch the 7 AM bus out to Molalatau, where the World AIDS Day event was being held for the Bobirwa Sub District. The outfit was either red or white top, and black bottoms. I opted for a white top, black skirt, rainbow socks, and my rainboots. Lol, unprofessional? Well, we’re in Africa, and it was pouring rain, I needed my rainboots just to walk to my clinic, so I have no regrets with my choice. I helped set up the exhibits, which consisted of the nurse at DHT who handles all my payments with Peace Corps, the nurse from my clinic, and Home Based Care. Clearly I was the right person for the job. Lol. Throughout the day it was just talks, entertainment, and some theater shows. There was a guest speaker and a motivational speaker. Most of the talks were done in Setswana, so I just kinda zoned out. The other Peace Corps volunteers that came were placed in the VIP section, where I was an…usher. Haha, so much for helping out! There was a tent for the VIP, the community was placed under the kgotla, and the entertainers were in a separate tent. The speakers focused their attention on the VIP tent, where they faced them whenever they were presenting. Simultaneously, there were 2 places where people could go and get tested. The day started at 9 AM and ended with lunch at 2 PM. All in all, regardless of how terrible the weather had been, it was a pretty good turnout. Hopefully, people got more out of it than I did (unfortunately for me, there was the language barrier). Though the one thing that I did get out of it was that the goal for next year is to bring AIDS-related deaths down to zero. I hope that it comes true!

December 10, 2011
Finally, went to my first wedding here in Botswana! So, in Botswana, you don’t necessary have to be invited to a wedding to attend. Anyone can come and attend, though I do believe it to still be a bit strange if you show up to a wedding without knowing a single person there, but nonetheless, invitations are not necessary. Though, I did go on invitation. I was invited by the aunt of the bride. I know the aunt really well, and have never been met the bride in my entire life. Even though it seemed a bit awkward if I went, I decided to go. 
1) I had never been to a wedding here in Botswana and everyone had told me over and over again that I must go to a wedding here in Botswana 
2) I had been invited by a close friend (the bride’s aunt) 
3) my friend (the bride’s cousin?) called and demanded that I showed up…so I showed up.

 It is in no way like any weddings in the states, that is for sure. When I arrived at the wedding, everyone was gathered in the front yard, wearing every day casual wear, and running around cooking the meal for the wedding. Yes, they were cooking the meal in the front yard…for a wedding. VERY DIFFERENT from the states. It wasn’t no braii or bbq, but big pots, black cauldrons were busy being poked and prodded. Mabele, palceche, samp, all your typical Setswana food. The men were busy pounding at the seswa (and damn it, they were pounding in the bones too…). My friends were busy running around cooking, yelling at people to do this and that. A giant event tent was pitched in the front yard as well. It was themed with red and grey curtains, and the plastic chairs and tables were elegantly covered with white sheets. The tent could hold about 100 people. There was a large, elevated table in the center where the bride and groom were to sit, along with those closest to them. The aunt of the bride took me in to see the bride. That was a bit awkward, I just said hi, that she looked beautiful, and congrats, cuz I didn’t know what else to say, since I felt like I was crashing her wedding. She was nice and thanked me.

Then the wedding began. It starts where the groom’s party arrives, and waits outside of the gate of the bride’s house. The bride is to walk to gate to greet her new husband, and they kiss. This was a bit of a process being that is was raining, and there was mud everywhere. They continuous played the same song over and over again, as the bride walked on sugar beans bags, and people would move the two sugar bean bags in front of each other as the bride slowly proceeded to the gate. I am very grateful for this act, because she had a very beautiful white wedding dress on, and it would have been a shame if it was sullied by mud. Finally, she reached the gate and gave her new husband a large smooch. All the older women were ululating, which is a sound that one produces with the tongue moving very quickly from side to side, while making a high pitched cheering sound. Then the same process is done for the bride as they head back to the tent where they are to be seated along with all the guests.

I am ushered into the tent, awkwardly, and asked to sit a table where I know no one. Luckily it’s in the corner where I can sneak out. Each side of the family introduces all the guests that are present at the wedding. I am introduced to the wedding party as a “family friend.” I stand up and wave. AWKWARD, but I guess part of the procedure. I eventually leave because the rest of the procedures are done in Setswana, and I have no idea what people were saying. And an older couple had come late, so I offered them my seat. I went to go help with the food, or more like the dishing. After all the introductions were done, the bride and groom along with many of the guests, went to the groom’s house to do a photo shoot. Not quite sure what they entailed because I didn’t go, but I’m guessing they just went there and took wedding photos. By the time the party had returned, the food was ready, and placed in the allocated catering dishes. They had asked me to serve, but I got lost and confused, so I didn’t. I was also VERY thirsty. So I went looking for a drink. They told me to go to the kitchen and ask for a ginger drink. I go in, and at first they wouldn’t open the kitchen door. It was until someone yelled “it’s a lekgoa” in Setswana, were they confused and curious, and opened the door for me. I just waved, and asked “ke kopa drinki?” they asked me to come into the kitchen, and to my shock, there was a cow’s head just lying on the floor in a pool of its own blood. I guess for the wedding, the family slaughters a cow, and they eat it at the wedding. I guess this poor cow I was looking at is what people were going to be eating for the wedding meal. I got the drink and got out of there as quick as possible. Still a bit dazed when being around the actual slaughtered animal. But all in all, that’s what food is, right?

Anyways, the food was served, they continued to talk in the tent, and then we cleaned up. I helped gather dishes and clean up the catering dishes. After that, I’m not quite sure what happened, cuz I went home because it was raining and difficult for me to find a ride otherwise. Overall, it was a very interesting wedding, and I would like to go to more in the future.

Oh a few other notes to bring up on. 1) on Thursdays, that is when marriage licenses and given, so technically on Thursday there were already officially married. 2) Negotiations are held between the bride and groom family for how many cows are to be delivered, called the lobola, kind of like a dowry. These negotiations are held prior to the wedding. That is also a separate event all in itself

December 15, 2011
I helped a couple of the ladies from Home Based Care get donations from neighboring farms and lodges for the Volunteer Appreciation Party. Ok, maybe not so much helped, but went along for the ride. Because…the ride involved going through Tuli Block where animals wander about at their own free will. I figured I could help them as well as try to see a few animals. I mean, after all, I am in Botswana, and we have a lot of cool looking animals here (which is why you should visit me!). It’s even cooler to see them if you get to see them for free! ;) hehe. Oh, and it was also SUPER nice to just be able to cruise around Botswana. Even though I slept a lot, cuz that’s apparently what I do now in any form of transportation, I got to see a lot of the scenery, and it was beautiful.

Anyways, I was picked up at 6 AM, it was pouring. Our first stop was Talana Farms where we were able to pick up a couple bags of onions, cabbage, carrots, and beets each. Talana Farms is in Tuli Block, so I was able to see a wildebeest, some springbok, and ostriches! They are some big birds. After that, we headed out to the South African border post of Zanzibar to Oasis Lodge and picked up some butternut squash. We took pictures at the lodge, it’s really pretty, and I tried to throw rocks into an itty bitty lake that said that there were hippos and crocs. The sign lied. L no hippos and crocs came out. oh well, maybe another time. We hung out and took pics with a ton of baobab trees, they are fricking HUGE. Not tall like redwoods, but FAT and kinda tall. They remind me of the tree that Owl from Winnie the Pooh was staying in. Pretty neat stuff, Botswana is a really beautiful country. J

December 16, 2011
I had been working with Home Based Care trying to get all the stuff together for the Volunteer Appreciation Party. I had been helping them create the invitations, letters, certificates, and program. The party was a combination of an Appreciation Party for the volunteers and the house opening for Ditshego (the person I had been helping on building her house). It was complete and ready to be shown to the world! J I arrive, and once again, I am on name tag duty. These fricking name tags are haunting me.

Anyways, all the volunteers were super excited. We had guests, and they had brought guests themselves. We had speakers lined up. We had awards to be given. We had presents to offload. We had a home to show. And there was a free meal to show our appreciation. Before we started the party, the volunteers were out in the parking lot singing and dancing. Everyone had dressed up in their traditional dress. Everyone seemed very excited and happy for the party. Once everyone had arrived, the volunteers gathered in the back room. They came into the conference room with their “Home Based Care” song and dance. Everyone applauded. The guest speakers spoke, gave motivational talks, thanked the volunteers for their effort (I was told that was said, being that it was all done in Setswana). Then the awards were given. They were all given certificates and a shopping bag that had a Home Based Care logo on it. Everyone asked me to take picture with them and their certificates. They were so proud, and I was proud of them for all their hard work for the community. Once again, throughout the whole ceremony all the women were ululating. It was a very happy event.

After the awards, we all piled into cars, and headed over to Ditshego’s house where we did her opening ceremony. Her house was painted, her pit latrine was painted, she had a standpipe, the yard was clean (minus a large amount of mud, but that can’t be helped cuz I live in a dusty, sandy village), and there was a ribbon hung up over her doors. Kgmosto, our MC, did the introductions, and then Ditshego gave a speech and her thanks. She did a good job of really thanking the other volunteer (who was unfortunately unable to attend the opening) who had worked hard at getting the renovations together. As she gave her speech, I was lucky enough to hold her 6 month old baby boy, who, with a bit of a squeeze managed to throw up on me. SWEET, new thing of bodily fluid projected on me by a child. The other volunteer in my village couldn’t seem to stop laughing for five minutes. Very sweet of him. Lol. It’s ok, the other mothers who witnessed the event also could hold back their laughter either. Anyways, then the guest speaker from the Appreciation Party cut the ribbon, and gave Ditshego the keys to her house so she could open it. Ditshego had the biggest smile on her face. We took pictures of the family entering into their newly renovated house. Her sixteen year old son had worked especially hard on the house, so I’m glad he was there. Very happy day for the Molapisi family! Their house now looks like a house! I’m soo happy for them!

When we finished the ceremony, we got stuck in the mud trying to get back to Home Based Care, where we enjoyed the meal that was provided by Bobonong Home Based Care. All in all, all the volunteers had a very happy appreciative day. J

December 18, 2011
Usually at night, when I walk into my bathroom, I have an average of 6 large cockroaches scattered and scurrying about. Even after I have cleaned, swept, and mopped. Today I used the cockroach chalk that Trish gave me before I left. It didn’t do anything. A cockroach just walked right over it. Damn these African cockroaches! How do you get rid of cockroaches? I can’t kill them because otherwise they will just squish all over my bathroom. It takes more effort to clean up after killing them then to just avoid them. If my broom is available at hand, I will normally sweep/chuck them out, kinda like chucking a puck. Sweeping cockroaches is a good way to train for hockey. I think when I get back, I’ll be good hockey player. I can already ice skate, anyways.

December 19, 2011
Never mind, I guess it did work. I woke up and walked into my bathroom, and somehow this chalk managed to flip over 7 cockroaches. I woke up to 7 dead, fat cockroaches lying on their backs. Awesome. At least they were dead.

Onthe up side, I finally got kitchen cabinets! Yay! My house is complete. And now I can finally spray down my kitchen and kill all the bugs that have been attacking me while I’ve been cooking for the past 5 months. God, I fucking hate bugs…especially mosquitoes. For those of you that watch True Blood (I just ravaged through 4 seasons of it in like a month), I feel like I am like a fairy. If mosquitoes were any indication of how vampires behave, my blood must be CRACK. Cuz I can get 15 mosquito bites in one night…fuckers. Sorry, I’m a bit peeved by mosquitoes right now, as you can duly tell.

December 24, 2011
Happy Christmas Eve, and Happy Anniversary to my parents!

December 25, 2011
Happy Christmas! I spent my Christmas eating Chinese food, going to a buffet, and watching a movie. A true American way to celebrate Christmas. J Sounds depressing, but was exactly how I wanted to celebrate my Christmas, and I was very happy to celebrate so.

January 1, 2012
Happy New Years! I like even number years, so hopefully this year will like me back. So, it’s been a whole 9 months that we’ve been in Africa, we have less than a year and a half left to go! Congrats on making it to the new year . and…NEXT YEAR we are going home! No, we’re not in prison (though we may make it seem like that sometime), but it’s just a cool way to say it. J

1 comment:

  1. OOoh, the wedding sounds pretty neat and... different! (as you pointed out)... The slaughtered cow's head sounds LOVELY too lol.

    ReplyDelete